February 4, 2013

Veggie Packed Chili



One of my favorite things to do when I cook is to adapt the recipe and make it a little healthier.  My kids are becoming pickier and pickier  eaters by the day (should be the opposite right!?) so I do whatever I can to sneak nutritious foods into their diets.     

So I thought I'd share this chili recipe I changed up. 

It was good before, but it's now veggie packed, lean, and delicious.


Ingredients:

2 cups spinach
1 cup bell peppers
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup broccoli 
1 cup white corn
1 yellow onion
1 can kidney beans
1 can black beans
1 can stewed tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1/8 cup olive oil
1 lb ground turkey
2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. basil leaves
salt & pepper to taste

Optional toppings:

plain greek yogurt
cheddar cheese

1.  In a large saucepan brown ground turkey.

2.  Add chopped onion and saute.  (Or just use dry onions if you're a baby like me and refuse to chop fresh onions.)

3.  Next I combine spinach, bell peppers, carrots, and broccoli and puree them all together in my blender.  This hides the veggies in the chili (or else my kids wouldn't eat it!) and creates a yummy veggie base.

4.  Throw all of the ingredients (yep, the turkey, the puree and everything else) into a crock pot or a large saucepan and stir it up.

5.  Simmer that tastiness for 3-5 hours on low.  This is key.  The colors and flavors get all acquainted and after simmering you can't even see the green of the spinach or anything anymore.

6.  Serve with a dollop of greek yogurt (tastes just like sour cream but much healthier) and a sprinkle of cheese.

7.  While looking at your precious picky eaters yell (in your head) FOOLED YA SUCKAS.  Because they just got a delicious meal packed with nutrients and they didn't even know it.



*This method also works really well when I make spaghetti sauce.  I puree whatever vegetables are in my fridge or freezer and throw it into the mix.  Can't even taste a difference after it has simmered for a while.  Victory!




No comments:

Post a Comment