November 13, 2012

The Mother Of All Quinoa Recipes





I have my vices but overall I love to eat nutritious, healthy foods.  One of my favorites is quinoa.  And its even fun to say, (keen-wah) so yeah, that's pretty cool.  Okay so if you're not familiar with the ever so delicious quinoa, let me tell you a little bit about it.  Its a high protein whole grain (technically its a seed) that provides all 8 amino acids, has twice the amount of calcium found in whole wheat, it's rich in flavonoids, and its also packed with fiber, which is always great because it helps you feel full longer.

Apparently the Incas called quinoa "chisaya mama" meaning the mother of all grains.  You say "mother of all" anything and I'm in.

This is the most amazing quinoa recipe out there.  Of course i think its the best recipe, because it is mine after all.  Well, kind of.  I found a great one a couple years ago and I've slowly adapted it into this tasty version.  I'm telling you it's not only good, its "oh em gee" good.  Anytime I make it for a crowd people ask for the recipe, my girls even LOVE it and its so easy to make.

You're like "Okay, okay, now give me that recipe!"  Fine little Mr./Ms. antsy pants, here you go.

Ingredients:

3 Tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 Tablespoon chopped garlic
1 1/2 Cups uncooked quinoa
3 cups water
4 chicken bouillon cubes
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon Mexican chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (do 1/2 teaspoon if you like a little more spice)
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
salt and pepper to taste


Directions:

1.  In a large saucepan combine everything except the black beans, and corn.

2.  Bring the mixture to a boil.  Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 minutes.

3.  Stir in the frozen corn and cook, uncovered over medium heat for 5 minutes.  (You may want to keep an eye on it and adjust the heat accordingly.  You don't want it to be too watery, but you also don't want it to dry out.  5 minutes on medium usually works well for me.)

4. Mix in the black beans and you're all set.

Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment